For making 10-15 small to medium-sized laddoos:
- 2 big bowls – besan (gram flour or chickpea flour, what ever you call it!)
- 6-7 spoons – pure ghee
- 1 and 1/2 bowls – powdered sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon – cardamom powder
- 1 bowl – raisins and cashews, per your liking.
Preparation time: 1 and 1/2 hour (approx)
- In a big wok, put 4 spoons ghee, and add the gram flour to it.
- Mix it properly and fry the flour properly.
- Add the remaining ghee as and when required.
- Keep frying the flour for about half an hour, till the color of flour becomes reddish-brown.
- Let this mixture cool for about an hour, and then add the cardamom powder and sugar in the prepared mixture and mix it all properly.
- Then add cashews and raisins and make the round laddoos using your hands to shape them. (It could be a messy business!)
- Your Besan Laddoos are ready!
This is a recipe that is mostly done on some auspicious occasion or during a festival in India, but it is an all year dish, and the laddoos stay for about a month (if they happen to stick around that long). Store it in the refrigerator for better preservation.